Friday 15 April 2011

Watercolourist's Box

My next post wasn't as quick as I would have liked but I wanted to keep this in chronological order and as you'll see there was a reason it took me so long!

After the first box I was asked if I could make a copy of an antique watercolourist's box but with the modification of an extra drawer to hold tubes of colour, these being more popular than pans these days.

It was an extremely complex project, far more so than I first realised but in the end I got there and learnt a lot along the way. Here's the result of that effort;

Photobucket

Photobucket

Now whether it was a miscommunication on my part I don't know but instead of being sold the box ended up on display at a local art shop. The shop unfortunately closed so some months after delivery I had the box back. After a while of sitting there looking at me I decided that I would re-finish the box because I was never very happy with the French polish and the lid had warped. This was a lesson learned in terms of the lid. I always thought that making things from solid wood was the way to go for quality and veneer was not; however despite making the lid from quarter sawn sections of solid Iroko it still warped to an unacceptable level. So I stripped the box right back to bare wood and set about making a new lid with Iroko edges and burr maple veneered panels. This was the final result finished this week in fact.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Now just by chance I uploaded the original photos to a facebook album of my boxes and long story short this box is now sold and has found a new home. It's going to used as was intended by someone who appreciates it and that makes me happy :)

I learned a lot from making this box, most of all that I really liked making boxes! It seems to sit with me well, it slows you down to a pace that's relaxing, the need to be very accurate working on such a small scale mirrors my love of model making and I have always loved wooden things. The gap between this box being made and re-finished was quite long and there were other boxes inbetween and they will be the subject of the next few posts.

CM2011

1 comment:

  1. Wow! You are a creative person. This is a very beautiful box. It must've taken a lot of patience and hard work to get completed. amazing.
    .
    .
    .
    shilpa

    ReplyDelete