Monday 25 April 2011

Veneers and Inlay

Following on from the last box time had soon come around to the next HAS Open exhibition and once again we were to sponsor the best watercolour section.

I had given the prize some thought and have been a fan of Andrew Crawford's work for quite some time and armed with one of his books I decided to stretch myself and make a box with a book-matched veneered lid, decorated edges and quadrant hinges. I'm not suggesting for one moment that my work has got anywhere near the quality of Andrew's work but I was quite pleased with the outcome and certainly the prize was well received and many kind comments were made to me. I did however make a fundamental error in the making of this box in that I used boxwood flat lines for the corners instead of squares. The overall effect looks very similar but squares are the right way to go!

This was the result;

Photobucket

Photobucket

The side are solid iroko and the lid burr maple. I really like to work with iroko, it works and machines beautifully and the pale French polish really makes the yellow streaks in the grain glow. It's a wood I intend to use again for a future project.

So that was one year ago and I have been busy most of this Easter weekend working on this years box. Trying to keep this blog in chronological order means that you won't see this for a little while yet but you can get a sneak preview if you head over to my regular photography blog ;-)

CM2011

No comments:

Post a Comment